North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper spoke at a briefing with Raleigh city officials late Thursday. Photo: City of Raleigh/Facebook
A teen suspect in an incident in Raleigh, North Carolina that killed five people, including an off-duty police officer, is in critical condition, officials said Friday morning.
Newest: Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman told Axios on Friday that a petition against the suspect has been filed with Axios, but her office is seeking to transfer the case to Superior Court, where the teen will stand trial as an adult.
- However, it all depends on the suspect’s condition, which Freeman’s office is keeping a close eye on.
- “A 15-year-old white male suspect” has been detained and is in critical condition, Police Chief Estella Patterson said at a news conference. Police did not name the suspects but identified four of the five victims.
- The five people killed in the shooting were Nicole Connors, 52; Susan Kanats, 49; Mary Marshall, 35; Raleigh Police Officer Gabriel Torres, 29; and a 16-year-old Caucasian male.
- A police officer injured in the shooting has been treated and released from the hospital. Another injured person remains in hospital in a critical condition, police said.
detail: A teenage male suspect, whom he did not name, was taken into custody at 9:37 p.m. with no further threats to the community, Lt. Jason Borneo of the Raleigh Police Department said at a briefing late Thursday.
- Borneo said an officer who responded to a shooting near a public greenway was taken to a local hospital along with another victim. The officer has been released, but the other victim remains in a critical condition.
Push News: Raleigh Police Department Officer tweet Just before 6 p.m., police were responding to a shooting in the Neuse River Greenway area, a popular bike path for residents of Raleigh, northeast of downtown, and urged residents to “stay home.”
- At least two people were taken to local hospitals, including a response officer, Raleigh Mayor Marianne Baldwin said at a briefing Thursday night.
- Charlotte Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Authority comfirmed It was one of several law enforcement agencies responding to the shooting.
What are they talking about: President Joe Biden said in a statement Friday that there have been “too many mass shootings across the United States,” referring to the Buffalo and Uwald attacks earlier this year.
- “Enough,” he said. “Our grief and prayers go out to too many families who have had to bear the horrific burden of these mass shootings. Too many families have lost their spouses, parents and children forever.”
- Biden also praised first responders in the statement, adding that his administration and the North Carolina governor. Roy Cooper will work with local authorities to investigate the shooting.
- “The horrors of this evening have reached our doorstep,” Cooper said at a briefing Thursday night. “Every community’s nightmare has come to Raleigh.
- “We all have many questions, but as we seek answers to those questions, let’s all pray for these victims, their families, and the community devastated by this, as we all rely on and help each other during this time. Tough times,” Cooper added.
Big picture: Thursday’s shooting in Raleigh was the deadliest shooting in North Carolina this year, according to the Gun Violence File.
- There have been more than 500 mass shootings in the U.S. this year, in which at least four shooting victims have been killed or injured, according to the nonprofit.
Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with new details.