On November 11, former President Trump was seen at his Mar-a-Lago estate. 15, 2022, Palm Beach, Florida.Photo: Joe Raeder/Getty Images
Former President Trump on Saturday falsely cited election fraud as grounds for terminating the Constitution after Elon Musk tweeted about Twitter’s role in limiting access to the Hunter Biden story.
What is he saying: “So with the revelations of massive and widespread fraud and deception working closely with Big Tech, the DNC, and the Democrats, do you throw out the 2020 presidential election results and declare the correct winner, or do you have a new election ?” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
- “Massive fraud of this type and scale allows for the termination of all rules, regulations and provisions, even those in the Constitution,” he continued. “Our great ‘Founders’ did not want and will not condone a sham and rigged election!”
Between the lines: The statement came after Musk posted a “Twitter document” on Friday. The documents focus on “suppression of free speech” involving the social media platform’s former management’s decision to restrict access to the New York Post story on Hunter Biden’s laptop three weeks before the 2020 presidential election.
- Twitter said it blocked the story because of the company’s policies on hacking and stolen material, Axios reported.
- Conservatives, meanwhile, argued at the time that Twitter was censoring news.
What are they saying: The White House condemned Trump’s remarks in a statement sent to Axios on Saturday.
- “The Constitution of the United States is the sacrosanct document that has guaranteed for more than 200 years that liberty and the rule of law prevail in our great nation. It unites the American people—regardless of party affiliation—and elected leaders have sworn to uphold it, said a statement from White House Deputy Press Secretary Andrew Bates.
- “This is the ultimate monument to all Americans who gave their lives to defeat a selfish tyrant who abused his power and trampled on his fundamental rights. Attacking the Constitution and all that it stands for is a curse to the soul of our nation and should be universally condemned. You can’t Love America only when it wins,” the statement said.
big picture: In the weeks since launching his 2024 re-election campaign, Trump has grabbed headlines more because of controversy than his campaign.
deeper: Trump: Congressional mob treated ‘unconstitutionally’
Trump talks to white nationalist Nick Fuentes at Mar-a-Lago dinner
Editor’s note: This story has been updated with a statement from the White House.